State Flower Show
February 23rd – 26th, 2017
Raritan Convention Center
Click Here for the final version (12/14/16) of the Flower Show Schedule
GARDEN STATE OF NEW JERSEY FLOWER SHOW
“Kaleidoscope” is the title of the upcoming state flower show as part of the NJ Garden and Flower Show’s overall theme of “Color Your World”. Color will be the inspiration and focus for lively displays and spirited competitions in design, horticulture and special exhibits. The “who, what, where, when and how” are to be found in the schedule, available at the GCNJ website around November.
- New: Award of Distinction – 12 designs made solely from dried plant material.
- “Themed Gardens” for both adults and youth. Think of a “fairy garden” but it’s not limited to fairy objects – it could be any imaginative garden landscape, where accessories dominate and some plant material is used. The adult class title is “Such Stuff as Dreams are Made On”, and the youth class is called “Do You Believe in Magic”.
- 3 Club Competitions One: an al fresco table for six called “Pop of Color”; Two: the Anderson Windows temporary gardens, called “An Artist’s Garden” Three: displays of related plants, called “Multifaceted.” Clubs must pre-register with the consultant as soon as possible; limit of four entries in each.
- Returning : a section of flowering branches;
the Tillandsia combination planting;
the botanical jewelry and decorated shoe;
the judge’s challenge and dueling designers
a full Youth section
- Photography for both adult and youth -class titles are: “Optical Conclusions” and “Color Vision”.
- Your educational and invitational exhibits are important. Show and Tell us about your successful projects and your special activities.
PROHIBITION OF INVASIVE PLANT MATERIAL IN STANDARD FLOWER SHOWS
Following several years of research, at the January 26, 2009 Executive Board meeting of GCNJ, The Nature Conservancy Category I Invasive Plant List (NJ) was adopted as the Official Invasive Plant List of GCNJ. The Board also adopted a policy:
“…prohibiting the exhibiting of plants on the list in our Standard Flower Shows with the exception of their use in Educational Exhibits.”
This policy must be stated in the General Rules of the Flower Show Schedule (see page 307 h. in the Handbook for Flower Shows, revised 2007). Copies of the list may be obtained from the GCNJ Flower Show School Chairman and the GCNJ Judges’ Council Chairman as well as from our website.
~Nancy Gahtan, Former Invasive Plants Chairman
CLICK HERE for The Nature Conservancy’s Statewide List of Invasive Plants of Highest Concern in NJ (PDF)
CLICK HERE for The Nature Conservancy’s Skyland’s Program Invasive Species & Native Alternatives Manuel (pocket card) (PDF)